Friday, January 30, 2009

What Is Your Grain?

I saw this sign at market and it really grabbed me. One thing I am always working on is trying to stay true to myself and not worry about what other people think. While I think I succeed at this most of the time, it is an ongoing battle. I find this true in life and decorating.I was reading Elle from Oct. 08 and found an article by Alex Postman describing her meetings with Isaac Mizrahi in which he was helping her find her style. I related to what she was saying in the following excerpt:

"I admit I harbor an envy of fashion extroverts-those bold, creative souls who can wear a coquettish plummed hat, or capelet, or studded leather boots without crippling self-awareness. People for whom the term faaaaabulous is used unironically."

Isaac is one of those people who exudes personal style and loads of personality and makes it look easy. Another person who I adore for being a completely unique is Betsy Johnson.
While I think truly over the top people are amazing, I just struggle to be true to my slightly different side, trying to really focus on what I like and stick to it. When I saw this picture I immediately thought, "Now that girl has personal style".
This picture, just like the sign above jumped out and grabbed me. I sometimes wonder if I didn't have outside influences what would my style be? Not that I think outside influences are bad, they keep things fresh and inspire you to grow and continually evolve. So my hope for this year is to evolve while not losing my individuality.

*This last picture is a sneak preview of my post on Monday on my new favorite photographer....

8 comments:

paula said...

at last i feel as if i am finding my so called style. i feel as if i love who i am more than ever. thank you Jesus! it only took how long?, ha!

MelMir said...

I am always true to me...I am very much the "I am who I am, and if you don't like it you can kiss you know where" type of girl! I am actually trying to learn how to keep my mouth shut these days.

LindsB said...

That sign is great, and I love that quote, it is so true!!

Lauren said...

really thoughtful post... i too am trying to sort of find my style & figure out self-expression. i'll definitely need to ponder what my grain is today. great one!!
xoxo

Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

great post, marianne!

Courtney said...

I really love this post. That sign is a fabulous one, and I often feel like I am evolving and trying to really discover my personal style. I always envy fashion-extroverts and even when I buy something I love, but that is just slightly out of my comfort zone, I often find myself feeling self-conscious about wearing it in public.

Case in point- a hat I bought in December. I love it. And not to sound conceded (this will, but really I couldn't be any further from being conceded... mostly I am riddled with self-consciousness!) but I really like how I look in it. Only every time I put it on before heading out into public, I end up taking it off before I walk out the door. I do wear other hats sometimes, but this one is proving hard to muster the courage to wear (now I've made it sound as if it is some wacky, out-there type of style. It's not. Just different for me.) Sorry for the long comment, I could write more, but will sum up with- I can very much relate to this post. Love it. xo

Haven and Home said...

Thanks everyone for your sweet comments, I always appreciate them!!!

Maria Killam said...

Love these image! Great post!