Monday, October 22, 2012

A Milestone

 Today marks the 5 year anniversary of going out on my own, the official beginning of Marianne Strong Interiors.  Honestly, I can't believe it, time has flown so fast.  I look back on those first few months, the literally sleepless nights, the tears shed and the excitement of it all.  It seems like yesterday and a thousand years ago all at the same time.
(picture taken several years ago in my original office in the house, with my original assistant)

I am so proud of how far this little company has come.  From a small room in my house all by myself to an office I love to come to everyday with an employee by my side.  I know my company in the grand scheme of things is small fries but to me it might as well be a Fortune 500 company.
(This is not the first room I did but it is one of the first I have a picture of)

Of course I could not have done it on my own and today I want to take some time to say thank you.

Starting with my Husband.  Patrick has been my biggest cheerleader and in the beginning when I was making pennies, he was our sole provider.  He gave me the space and support to chase my dream and together we have celebrated the highs and held on through the lows.  By being such an amazing father, he has continued to make my job easier since Henry was born.
(Patrick and my Dad- move in day, an office to call my own!)

Speaking of cheerleaders, my parents and family have been there the whole way.  My parents have always believed in me (and my brothers) to the fullest extent.  It never dawned on me growing up I would not be successful because of the confidence they instilled in me.  Not loud, not proud or boastful, just a quiet voice that always said try hard, don't give up, you can do it.  For 5 years now my Mom has basically been my CFO, definitely a liaison to the accountant and that has been priceless. 

A HUGE thank you goes to an amazing Interior Decorator, Jenny Edwards...also known as my former boss.  I worked for her for several years and during that time she let me start small projects on the side on my own before fully taking on Marianne Strong Interiors.  The depth of my gratitude for her, my time with her, what I learned while working for her is bigger than words.  She changed my life.  I am eternally grateful.

There are so many friends and business peers that have given me countless pep talks along the way, those stick.  They have also shared in celebrating the triumphs, those memories stick too.
(Card attached to flowers-and a giant margarita glass because they know me so well- sent 5 years ago.  Still hanging up in my kitchen today.)

I am so, so thankful for all my clients.  Sometimes I like to open Quickbooks and go back through all the names.  I am fortunate that most of them from the past come back again and I don't have to ever fully say goodbye.  Of course without clients a business could not exist; but it is the enjoyment of working with them, their company, their families, their homes that make my days meaningful and much more than just a job.
(Sneak peek of a project we are having photographed soon)

Last but certainly not least, I have to thank the Big Guy Up Stairs.  I get asked for business advice all the time and there are pointers I give, but I believe there is one sole reason I have been so successful and that is God.  Oh so many prayers have been whispered over these years.  Hundreds.  Thousands.  Only He knows for sure.
(The new website is coming along! Now updated pictures needed.  This could take another 5 years a while.)

I am looking forward to the next 5 years and beyond.  I can't imagine how they could possibly top the first five but you never know what is right around the corner.  Since having Henry the work landscape has changed.  I have had to reign in my workaholic ways- an ongoing struggle.   My biggest goal for the next five years is to continue to grow and find success while making sure my most important job- being Henry's Mom- always comes first.


13 comments:

MelMir said...

Congrats on 5 years! Love you!!!

Tara Dillard said...

Exciting. Congratulations.

The ripples of what you do for the economy are HUGE.

XO T

paula said...

Just got all teary eyed. I am so happy for you!!! Your work is stunning and stands the test of time. So happy to have you as a friend and counselor when needed. ha.

Rhonda said...

Congratulations!
Here's to many more successful and blessed years in the business!
Rhonda

Anonymous said...

We are so very proud of you! You are an inspiration as a wife, mother and business woman. Thanks for letting us tag along.

Patrick, Henry & Harry

Amber B (Simple Dwellings) said...

Congratulations!! You have had so many amazing accomplishments and this is just the beginning. What a beautiful post! I have enjoyed following your blog since I beagn my own in 2011. Cheers to many more successes! :)

traci zeller designs said...

Congratulations, Marianne! You are an amazing designer and a fantastic mom!!

Mali Gold said...

what an amazing designer you are!

branded apparel said...

congrats marriane, thanks for your sharing!

Lindsey said...

Congrautlations! You have done an amazing job and I am so proud of you!! H & H is the first blog I check each morning. Keep up the beautiful work.

mikky said...

So happy for you! Congrats on 5 years & may the next five be even greater.

:)
mikky
www.todaloos.com

Unknown said...

Congratulations! I enjoy following your projects and pray for another fantastic 5 years for you.
xo Nancy
Powellbrowerhome.com

Caroline said...

Congratulations on 5 years! This post makes me so happy and hopeful b/c you and I are on the same path. You are a true inspiration to those who aspire to go out on their own. Cheers! -Caroline