Thursday, October 14, 2010

Love The One You're With-Flip Flops & Pearls

Today's "Love The One You're With" post comes from one of my favorite people- Jade from Flip Flops & Pearls. I had always loved Jade in the blog world and then I met her in NYC and it really was like we were old friends. I will be sure to have Jade back once she is in her new house....

When Marianne asked me to be a part of her "Love the One You're With" series, I couldn't say no! First, I absolutely adore Marianne and second, it gave me a chance to look around my own house with a new approach. Instead of focusing on the million things I want different, I got to choose the things I love and wouldn't part with.

The first thing is the rug at my front door. I have had it since my husband and I got married and it was kind of like my first real "big girl" purchase. Before I started design school, I will honestly say I had no clue about quality in home decor. I will admit I purchased a lot based on price (the cheaper the better) so what I ended up with fit just fine for the short term, but was ultimately thrown out because it didn't last or I hated it after a few months. This rug signified the shift in me, where I started making smarter, longer lasting purchases. I now know in almost everything a good, quality product will stand the test of time.The second thing I love in my home is this painting from Costa Rica. My husband and I bought it on our honeymoon in a small little shop and I love everything about it! The colors, the rustic frame, as well as it being the perfect compromise between my sportsman hubby and me. He gets a fish on the wall, I can look at something tasteful as opposed to some of his original choices!
The last thing I love in my home is the lantern hanging at my front door. Our builder had selected a run of the mill, standard ceiling fixture and that thing had to go ASAP!!
Thanks Marianne and her readers for letting me share the stuff I love in my home!

Thanks again Jade, I love your picks, especially the fish!

12 comments:

Karen said...

I couldn't agree more with Jade, quality pieces stand the test of time.

Jade @ Flip Flops + Pearls Design said...

Thanks Marianne for letting me be a part of this!

xo Jade

Bonnie said...

I love this post. It is what we should all do. Concentrate on our blessings and cherish the memories of what we like and is all our own not always wishing for more and what someone else has.

Cristin // Simplified Bee said...

Love the lantern! It's perfect.

xo,
cristin

Anonymous said...

Great post! I did the same thing... bought what was cheap and now most of it is going out the door. But that is what you do when you first start out I guess. While expensive doesn't always mean good it usually means you thought about it and really love it and that is what makes it a good investment.... you love it! Love the lantern....:)

Anonymous said...

What a fun idea, Marianne! Great post, Jade. :)

k said...

i love this post idea! my husband and i bought a cool painting that we still display, i'll always love it :)

Unknown said...

I love this idea Marianne! What a great concept :) Flip Flops & Pearls Rocks! And she is adorable!

XOXO

Megan // Honey We're Home said...

Jade has such great style! And I like her approach regarding making higher quality, longer lasting purchases.

emily said...

I love Jade's lantern. (P.S. I'm new to your blog and loving it!)

Anonymous said...

Darling pieces. I love to decorate too!! I love your blog and thank you so much for commenting on my EL Vintage photo shoot.
Please come again xx Emily

http://styleforlifelosangeles.blogspot.com/

Simony said...

Very interesting post! We gotta learn to love what we have and make reasonable choices, too. I believe better quality will always cost a little or a lot more, but it show the quality!
I am becoming a follower today!