Monday, December 14, 2009

Bloggers Taking Action: Pencils of Promise

I am sorry to do back to back posts of this nature but when one my favorites bloggers asks for help I have to say yes!
I am so happy to be a part of this effort. I would try to explain it myself but this will give you a much better idea:

***I don't know why I can't change the font color but I am having issues. I am out the door to meetings so if you aren't able to read what is below please visit La Dolce Vita, Pencils of Promise is an amazing organzition! Thanks!

Several bloggers are coming together today in a collaborative effort spearheaded by Paloma Contreras of La Dolce Vita, in order to make a difference for a very deserving charity. Pencils of Promise is a wonderful 501(c)(3) organization based in New York, that partners with local communities and organizations to build schools of early-stage education in developing nations for some of the world’s most impoverished and undereducated children. Sadly, there are more than 75 million children in this terrible situation worldwide.

Last December, the Pencils of Promise team visited a small village in Laos and by July 2009, they had built a new school for the village children who started attending classes on September 1st. This month, Pencils of Promise will be opening their third school and they hope to open the doors to education for more children in 2010.

In the spirit of the holiday season, we are asking for your help today on behalf of these children. Just think of the enormous impact we could have if each person who reads this post donates just $1.00. If you are willing and able to give more (35.00 buys shelves for a classroom, $50 provides pencils for one year, $100 provides a teacher’s salary for three months and so on), it would be greatly appreciated. We are in the midst of the giving season and hope that you will find it in your heart to make a donation to this worthy cause today. You can opt to donate via PayPal if you prefer. Every little bit helps and together, we can make a difference!

If you would like to stay informed about the difference Pencils of Promise is making, be sure to become a fan on their Facebook page.

*Update- PoP has set up a specific project to come from this collaboration. New dormitories for students in Laos will be built using money raised from bloggers!

Interested in knowing more? Check out this video:

2 comments:

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Great cause, I'm heading off to learn more, thanks for sharing!
Janell

My Owl Barn said...

Great cause, indeed. Education plays an important part in everyone's life. Being from India, I see many children who have never been to a school or held a book. It's saddens me. I have started a cause to help street kids to at least a chance to educate or smile via a book. Let's hope someone gets what they deserve out of all this.