Thursday, February 19, 2009

And The Oscar Goes To....

What is your dream job? Mine changes all the time, but consistently I dream of moving to New York or L.A. and becoming a set decorator. I know the grass is always greener, blah blah, but how great would it be to have a big budget, work with sources who are thrilled to be part of the next big movie, TV show etc, and knowing your work could make viewers love what they are watching just a little more? I was just pondering this the other day when I turned on Good Morning America and saw a wonderful interview with Rosemary Brandenburg. So there I sat at my desk/makeup table/oversized catchall, etc (remember tiny house=multi-functioning pieces) listening to the real deal dish about her trade. Full Interview HERE.
The mastermind behind movies such as Transformers and What Women Want got me thinking about my favorite sets. Then low and behold I was on The Washington Post the other day and in honor of the Oscars they asked readers to vote on their favorite movie sets.Father Of The Bride and The Holiday both scored high on the list. I know, no one in the blog world is shocked by The Holiday. Who isn't obsessed with one of the two homes. If you haven't seen this movie, you should rent it just for the sets!
More than one client has pointed me towards Cameron's house in the film as an inspiration jumping off point. So while browsing around I came across this wonderful POST by Surroundings which will assist you in getting the look!
But I must say, my favorite set lately has to be, hands down, Victory Ford's apartment on Lipstick Jungle. Every time it is on screen I pause it to take in the colorful details. Lucky for me the apartment is broken down (see picture below) by Bandelle .
While we are on the subject of TV show sets, who doesn't love the sets of Gossip Girl? You remember this POST. It was a treat this morning while flipping through the February InStyle to find 3 designers giving their spin to the oval office. I was thrilled to see the "Eclectic" look was designed by Loren Weeks, Christina Tonkin and Malchus Janocko-the set designers for our favorite New York socialites of Gossip Girl.To see the other designs by Jonathan Adler and Amy Mellen for Calvin Klein Home click HERE.

Sooooo...to sum up this post, I am moving into Victory Ford's apartment in New York where I will spend half the year on sets there and then to Cameron Diaz's home in The Holiday where I will work the other half of the year in L.A.

I know, it is alot to ask. After this week, I will just settle for it being Friday. Have a wonderful, relaxing weekend....

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like the best home ever :) Can I have the clothes of Cameron Diaz and Victory Ford too? Now that would be absolute perfection.

I'm so glad you stopped by the blog today. And I cannot wait to read more of yours! Have a lovely weekend.

Kylie

brooke said...

goodness...i LOVE getting a behind the look at sets...i swear more often than not when i watch a movie i too am paying more attention to the house/neighborhood/clothes/and of course decor than i am the actual movie...keep em coming too b/c i am scouting dining room chairs...i go back and forth between unmatched with two breathtaking matching end arm chairs...or one amazing white wicker loveseat and four matching dining chairs...just cannot decide!

Linda Merrill said...

Hi Marianne,
Thanks for your mention and for linking to my Holiday post. It's amazing how certain movies really capture the collective imagination! I did love Lipstick Jungle's stage sets - too bad the show is now more! And, am going to click over to hear Rosemary Brandenberg's interview - thanks for the headsup!

LindsB said...

I'd like to join you in NY as the set designer- sounds like so much fun!

I also love Victory's apartment- that is one of my favorite shows. Actually I love all three of their apartments and would love a mix of the three of them.

paula said...

dream job... i would love to be an interior decorator or children's clothes designer.

Stephanie Sabbe said...

Jonathan Adler is the biggest yikes of a decorator ever! (I hope he doesn't read your blog:) I toured his Planet Hollywood suites in Vegas when I was there last spring for the Hospitality design show and it was YUK!! What is the new "cool" thing taking over LA called? Hollywood Regency I think? Anyway it's alot of aluminum foil wallcovering, black cut pile carpet, and lots and lots of brass accessories. It is so terrible. I always wanted to write Domino and say how terrible I think it is.Thank you for giving me the opportunity:)have a good weekend.

Lauren said...

hahahah i LOVED cameron's place in that movie!!!

Maria Killam said...

Great post! By the way I've met a couple set decorators in my travels and all they do is PACK and UNPACK. She said it sounds way more fun than it actually is. Better if you can be the BOSS of the packers. This way they are the ones running around trying to find the perfect wallpaper to be installed yesterday!

Blair Friedeman said...

Oh, that may be on my dream job list too! I loved Cameron Diaz's house in Holiday--I could use a bath in that tub about right now!

Anonymous said...

My dream job is designing those great sets! Father of the Bride and the Holiday are two of four movies that I bought only because I want those houses, all of them!
The built in bookshelves in FOTB are just too much! The cottage in England and simplicity of the LA home - perfect!
Thanks for the the links!

CHIC Sensibility... said...

My dream job keeps changing too. A set Director seems like a really cool gig. Hopefully all your dreams will come true. Thanks for your comment.

Stay chic,
CS

Unknown said...

Love your blog and your post. Yes, that is a DREAM job--I would love it because you are at liberty to change your decorating personality often--without financial ruin! I love the Holiday too but my favorite of all time movie set is the Hampton house in "Something's Gotta Give". Diane Keaton's home in Father of the Bride is awesome but her Hampton house takes my breath away!

No.35style said...

at the moment it's to be a mother, but for paying bills i'd have to go with owning a furniture/home consignment store. i'd sell others things and have my own stuff thrown in that i've redone from estate sales.