Pages

▼

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Quiet Time-It's Not Just About Going to Church


The Lord says: "These people come near to me with their mouth and honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. Their worship of me is made up only of rules taught by men. Isaiah 29:13

We are here for one purpose, to serve God. That is not accomplished by showing up to church once a week, going through the usual steps and then heading off to brunch (not that this is a bad thing). What is really important is having a relationship with God, talking to Him, praying, being mindful of Him in all you do. We each have a special role He has given us, a purpose.

This is not saying that there is anything wrong with church or that it is a bad thing, it is just that God is found in other ways too and should be present all week, not just on Sunday.

12 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more, despite my upbringing. I do find that it's challenging to find a way to be mindful of Him in all I do, but I figure if I mindful of WANTING to be mindful, I'm getting there.

    (Hmmm....deep thoughts on a Sunday!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You hit the nail on the head. Amen, sister!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true!! Just because you go to church that doesn't make you a 'good' person, it is about living your life, day by day, in a loving, caring, and nurturing way. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so agree, when I am outside is when I feel the closest to God. I think it is in the being STILL and Knowing that he is GOD!!! that is the real communion with him. Happy
    Sunday Kathysue

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sentiments exactly! Thank you for the reminder. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i needed to hear this today... and although i truly practice this.. i felt sad that i was not able to make it to church today...as i was working away... we passed several churches along the way and my soul felt happy knowing that God was with me... He is alway is... no matter where we are. it feels sooo good to truly know this. hope you had a wonderful weekend marianne... you truly are a blessing... xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your Quiet Time posts. BTW, speaking of books to read, I've just started a "Read The Bible in 90 Days" challenge. Start to finish in 90 days (not deep and thoughtful so much as just reading to get the big picture). Sounds crazy and hard, but I'm loving it so far. I do it through a free iPhone app, which gives me no excuse since I always have my phone...and always find time for emails and blogs! ;)

    Have a great week...Linsey

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wasn't able to attend church today and was also sad (Pam!) but I've always believed that church really starts on Monday and WE are the church so "church " is with us always. We can praise, pray & serve every second of every day...which is a true blessing.

    So timley Marianne...thank you, and have a wonderful week! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just found you!!!! And what a lovely post this is! I am reading "Walking with God" by John Eldredge...makes me mindful...it's every minute NOT just that Sunday-"thang." Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just found you too! And love this post! My home group is reading "Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World" and it is so good! It talks about the importance of making time for Jesus even when life and the craziness of our society surrounds us. Lovely post! And lovely blog! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments, I really appreciate them. DO NOT leave a comment with a promotional link, they will be promptly deleted.