Last time I was home my parents gave me a bunch of old magazines, I have enjoyed looking through designs of previous decades. Loving this house from Traditional Home, May 1999...A little hardware goes a long way... Even though this was shot 10+ years ago, designer John Barman's home looks like it could be in a magazine today.
This is a sign of great design. Clearly John is well ahead of his time. I find a lot of classic timeless design to be a little boring but his rooms have real punch.
I love when things you fall for years ago still look fabulous today. of course, it's unfortunate when it comes to overalls and such but these rooms are awesome!
This is a great example of how investing in classic neutral pieces is wise! These rooms look like they were designed in the last few years... not 10 years ago. Thanks for sharing!
Ah 1999 the year I graduated from HS! I love that you have all those old mags. Totally makes me sad that I use to throw out so many of them when I should have been storing them!
I agree this could be in a present day magazine. It's such timeless design.
I'm so glad you posted this! As a 26 year old who didn't start following interior design into very recently....this is so interesting to for me to see where design was 10 years ago. I'm actually quite surprised out how relevant these images are even today. They don't look in the least bit dated, despite being from a decade ago. I guess good design is TIMELESS :)
Love this! I think I actually remember this issue! :) Makes me want to go through all the old mags I have now. Nothing like a classic, timeless design, it's the way to go...sometimes I wish that concept would be followed in the fashion industry too. xo
Wow, it's amazing that this was 10 years ago, it still looks great! I love looking through old magazines and seeing how styles change (or don't change) through the years. Great find!
goes to show great style is timeless!
ReplyDeleteSo classic! And, they are even 10 years ahead of the design curve with that zig-zag throw on the bed.
ReplyDeleteThis is a sign of great design. Clearly John is well ahead of his time. I find a lot of classic timeless design to be a little boring but his rooms have real punch.
ReplyDeleteI think I might remember this one (??). Love seeing old work that still is very relevant. Great design!
ReplyDeleteThis looks very familiar to me also! Isn't it fun to go through old issues? It's like hidden treasure!
ReplyDeleteI've been meaning to visit your blog for quite some time since we seem to comment on alot of the same posts!
So glad I did! Have a great weekend!
I just adore a timeless design.
ReplyDeleteI couldn't agree more! Really stylish...that designer is welcome to my house any time!! :) Have a nice weekend!
ReplyDeleteWow,is it ever. Gorgeous.
ReplyDeleteNo kidding! It's so pretty.
ReplyDeleteNow you've inspired me to go through some of my older issues. And don't even get me started here at work - we have some AD's from the early 90's.
I am seriously impressed, this house doesn't look dated at all, even in the kitchen! Bring us more from the past, won't you please??
ReplyDeleteI love when things you fall for years ago still look fabulous today. of course, it's unfortunate when it comes to overalls and such but these rooms are awesome!
ReplyDeleteThis is a great example of how investing in classic neutral pieces is wise! These rooms look like they were designed in the last few years... not 10 years ago. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteAh 1999 the year I graduated from HS! I love that you have all those old mags. Totally makes me sad that I use to throw out so many of them when I should have been storing them!
ReplyDeleteI agree this could be in a present day magazine. It's such timeless design.
You are so right! Thanks for this eye candy from 1999.
ReplyDeleteWhat fun! I am sure there are a lot of old magazines that have some pretty great designs in them!
ReplyDeleteso glad to find your link. thanks for your comment!! have a great weekend!!
ReplyDeleteDoesn't look dated at all. I would say the blanket at the end of the bed even looks like a Madeline Weinreb pattern that is so current.
ReplyDeleteperfect example of "timeless" design. Thanks for stopping by my new blog. I appreciate the positive feedback. Glad ti find you.
ReplyDeletegreat call. Love seeing it look so fresh. Love your K. Ridder post too.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you posted this! As a 26 year old who didn't start following interior design into very recently....this is so interesting to for me to see where design was 10 years ago. I'm actually quite surprised out how relevant these images are even today. They don't look in the least bit dated, despite being from a decade ago. I guess good design is TIMELESS :)
ReplyDeleteHave a wonderful weekend!
xo,
Crystal
i love looking back at old magazines. they can be so inspirational :)
ReplyDeleteLOVING this! Yes, please!
ReplyDelete1999 looked pretty darn good. Sitting there with a stack of old magazines sounds like a way I would love to pass a few hours. : D
ReplyDeleteThis house is super-amazing! Isn't it weird how you never know you want/like something until you see someone else do it well?
ReplyDeletelove doing that. it's like research right? plus its fun to notice what trends are still around, what determines a classic etc...
ReplyDeleteLove this! I think I actually remember this issue! :) Makes me want to go through all the old mags I have now. Nothing like a classic, timeless design, it's the way to go...sometimes I wish that concept would be followed in the fashion industry too. xo
ReplyDeleteWow, it's amazing that this was 10 years ago, it still looks great! I love looking through old magazines and seeing how styles change (or don't change) through the years. Great find!
ReplyDeleteLove seeing these. And too funny, my mom just brought over a huge stack of old mags for my viewing pleasure. Great minds think alike I suppose.
ReplyDeleteLove this post- maybe a future series??? Timeless design...
ReplyDelete