Pages

▼

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Is Black The New Pink?

When I saw these fabrics I immediately thought about a client of mine who is pregnant. She actually does not know what she is having yet but I think she is having a girl. I never have these premonitions, but every time I see something that makes me think of a girl's room I think of her. While I don't think she would ever go to the "dark side" or for that matter anything near this funky, I think used correctly these could be so cute.
This fabric I saw in Ikea and I thought it was on clearance for $.99-yes 99 cents, but I was wrong. I was going to buy it all and just keep it around for the right person. Well, it was something like $8.99/yd, which is still a GREAT deal, but I didn't want to buy a random amount for "one day".
With either of these fabrics I would pull out some of the colors in the fabric for the walls and the rest of the room, maybe even a pink. I wouldn't do black on black for a child, but how cute is this wall?
Not that I think this is necessarily childlike. I would use it in an "adult" room too as long as it fit with the owner. I took this at a showroom in Atlanta, in complete stealth mode knowing that I would put this in my idea file to use sometime down the road. I will let you know when I find the right spot.

20 comments:

  1. Oh that first fabric i adore, how mazing are the colours and the texture in the fabric!?! Beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh so pretty. I always like a little touch of black in a nursery. I remember seeing an Oprah episode once where the dad designed the nursery and it had black paint from the chair rail down and the pink from the chair rail up. It looked so sweet and totally girly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love the paisley. Is it a 54" home dec fabric or a 40" quilting? I think I must have a piece of paisley!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the fabric. One black wall could be quite chic:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. To know my husband and I is to know we'd probably be the first couple to use black in our baby's room, ha!! Love those ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love the ikea fabric! who knew ikea made such great fabrics!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That ikea fabric is great- what a bummer it was really 99cents a yard, that would have been a great deal! Maybe next time :)

    But it would look cute in a large frame on the wall if whoever was using it didnt want too much black- because the pattern is still cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I adore that ikea fabric. So beautiful. I actually just did a post on black interiors this morning:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, i LOVE that bird fabric

    ReplyDelete
  10. PLease confirm that the first fabric pics are from IKEA !? I am in LUV with it - I must have it ! Love your blog - Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the paisley fabric - it's darker, but still really cheery.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love both fabrics, but especially the Ikea - I guess because I have a thing for birds. Who says you can't use black in a nursery - I think these colors and fabrics would be wonderful!Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Everyone,

    As always thanks for the comments! The paisley fabric is from a source I buy from but it is not expensive. If you are interested in just send me an e-mail and I will send you the details.

    The bird fabric is from Ikea and called Gunilla. Here is the link:

    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10154191

    Let me know if you have any other questions!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have nominated you for a Splash Award. check out my blog wed morning for the details!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous! I would love a chair in either of these fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm a huge fan of ikea fabric too, i like the one with the bird on it you have there. cute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The birdie fabric is so fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really like the paisley fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The paisley is phenomenly crazy!!!
    I'd use it ina preppy liitle girls whose transitioning into a teenager convinced she's already a woman. Like my 8 year old goddaughter Hailey. No kidding 8 7 heres her quote when her daddy opened the mail of this fabric....
    (insert your own excited tone)
    ""Ooh. ooh now that is so wow..."
    Couldnt agree more.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments, I really appreciate them. DO NOT leave a comment with a promotional link, they will be promptly deleted.